Sponsored by the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum & Time Warner Cable
In keeping with the legacy of inventor Antonio Meucci(1808-1889), the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum and Time Warner Cable are pleased to announce the Young Inventors' Competition to be held Sunday, June 14, 2015, from 12-3 pm in Staten Island, (venue to be announced.)
Throughout his life time, Antonio Meucci was responsible for many inventions, improvements and ideas. These innovations included smokeless candles, coffee and tea filtering systems, oil/kerosene lamps and most notably, the telephone.
The contest is open to public, private, parochial and home school students, grades 3-8. Students are to present an original idea for a new invention or an improvement upon an existing one. Inventions include anything from a kitchen gadget to machinery.
Cash Prizes awarded to individuals or group inventions.
• 3 First place -- $200.00 each
• 3 Second place--$100.00 each
• 3 Third place--$50.00
For group inventions, the awarded prize will be presented to the group representative who will divide it equally among the group members.
Deadline for entries is Friday, May 8, 2015
Finalists will be notified via email by Friday, May 29, 2015
Final Competition, Sunday, June 14, 2015. Staten Island, NY.
Contestants completed applications will first be judged by GMM and TWC representatives. Finalist will be invited to present their entries to a panel of expert judges on Sunday, June 14, 2015, in Staten Island.
1. Individual students or groups in grades 3-8 may apply.
2. Only completed applications will be accepted (photographs/ diagrams are optional but highly recommended)
3. Actual PROTOTYPE has only to be presented at the Final Completion if selected.
4. Groups must list all names of group member's on their application. Maximum per group—four, must be in same grade.
5. Groups must designate one member to receive prize check. Individual is responsible for dividing prize among the group.
6. Ideas must be original and must come from students.
7. All applications must be completed and mailed before May8,2015 to:
GARIBALDI-MEUCCI MUSEUM - 420 Tompkins Ave. - Staten Island, NY 10305
Attention: Marianna Randazzo, Director of School Programs
Judges will be looking for:
• Simple creative solutions to common problems and originality
• An understanding of the scientific principles behind an invention.
Please note, there is no entrance fee.
For more information and application please email: firstname.lastname@example.org