Italian Lake Park was part of City Beautiful Movement

Nov 03, 2017 1214

BY: Deb Kiner

Italian Lake Park at Third and Division streets was part of the City Beautiful Movement in 1901. It was designed by landscape architect Walter Manning of Boston. Features of the Lake include a Japanese harmony bridge and the Dance of Eternal Spring sculpture. After the lake had fallen into disrepair, in 1990 the city spent $200,000 to make repairs and improvements. The lake was drained and dredged to remove debris from hidden mosaic tile, the fountain was repaired and the concrete barrier was rebuilt.

The sculpture, which was commissioned by Milton S. Hershey in 1909, has been at the park since 1971. Here is that story from the late Mary O. Bradley: "In 1909, Milton S. Hershey made a verbal agreement with Giuseppe Donato, an Italian sculptor, to make a garden fountain for the lawn of Hershey's home. The chocolate king gave a $2,000 down payment to Donato, who worked in Philadelphia. 

Read more

SOURCE: http://www.pennlive.com

You may be interested