Italian Botanical Heritage

Italian Botanical Heritage is a project aimed at fostering the knowledge of the Italian botanical, artistic and cultural Italian heritage and the development of green tourism in Italy, and to become a virtual meeting platform between enthusiasts of this field.


The Garden of Aquatic Plants, also called Porcinai Pool, is located on the island Polvese in the protected area of the Park of the Trasimeno, Umbria.  It was built in the late 50s of the twentieth century, commissioned by Count Giannino Citterio, owner of the island, by the great landscape architect Peter Porcinai (1910-1986), who created a pool de...

The Botanical Garden of Collemaggio is located near the church with the same name, on the outskirts of the city of L'Aquila. Originally, the garden was used by the Celestinian monks who lived in the basilica, and then in in 1965 it began property of the Faculty of Mathematical, Chemical, Physical and Natural Sciences of the University of L'Aquila....

The Bosco delle Sorti Safeguard Zone extends into a hilly environment with a viticultural vocation that lies between 118 and 311 meters above sea level, in a transition zone between the floodplain and the slopes, which rise gradually towards the Apennine belt. Its objective is to integrate and define the conservation and management of natural and l...

Le Mortine Oasis is located on the border between Campania and Molise, in the municipalities of Capriati al Volturno (Caserta, Campania) and Venafro (Isernia, Molise), on an artificial river oxbow created by the construction of a dam for hydroelectric production. It consists of more than 50,000 hectares. The ensemble of aquatic environments is surr...

The Botanical Garden of Palermo stands next to Villa Giulia, bordering the Kalsa district. In 1779, to accompany the newly founded Academy of Royal Studies, which had attached the chair of Botany and Materia medica, a small botanical garden had been created adjacent to the Porta di Carini, but having become insufficient for the needs of the chair,...

The Ca' Brigida Oasis is located in the Marecchia Valley, at Il Doccio, in the municipality of Verucchio. It covers about 16-17 hectares in mainly hilly environments, which include woods, cultivated areas, a farmhouse with an adjoining park, springs and traces of ancient settlements, belonging to Verucchio's Villanovan civilization. Inside the Oasi...

It has been called the "most beautiful vineyard in the world" by "National Geographic" and other major international magazines: it is located in Amastuola, among the hills of Crispiano, in the province of Taranto, immersed in a wonderful landscape composed of maritime pines, centuries-old olive trees and Mediterranean scrub, with a very ancient his...

The privately owned museum is located in Dorgali, within a park full of waters fed by the spring "S'Abba frisca" (in Italian “acqua fresca”, as to say fresh water). The main theme of the park-museum is summarized in two itineraries: naturalistic and ethnographic. The itinerary begins with the presentation of plant species: narrow-leafed bonewort, c...

The Hanbury Botanical Gardens stand on the Mortola promontory on the Ligurian coast, a few kilometers from the French border. They occupy an area of 18 hectares, included in the municipal territory of Ventimiglia, Mortola locality, in the province of Imperia. The landscape appearance is typically English, with irregular paths and romantic rustic pe...

Established in 1994, the Monte San Bartolo Regional Natural Park covers about 1,600 hectares in the province of Pesaro Urbino, along the coastal area and the hill ridge between the municipalities of Pesaro and Gabicce Mare. Its territory presents a rather heterogeneous environmental mosaic, with very diverse plant associations, also depending on a...

Established as a Botanical Garden, the Municipal Villa of Reggio Calabria was built by the Società Economica e Comizio Agrario, which had purchased the area in 1850. In 1880 a neoclassical-style building was built inside to house the Metereological and Geodynamic Observatory. At the end of the 19th century the Botanical Garden became state property...

The Antonio Segni Alpine Garden is located at the foot of the Dolomite cliff of the Civetta Group, on the southern slope dominated by the imposing and elegant walls of Cima Busazza, Torre Venezia and Torre Trieste. It was founded in 1963 as part of the CAI Conegliano section with the purpose of publicizing the beauty and diversity of the Dolomite a...