This delicious loaf is a perfect spring and summer recipe when zucchini are in season. It could be a tasty idea for a picnic with family and friends. In fact you can prepare it a day in advance and enjoy it cold the next day or you can also serve it as a stater. Delicious smoked ham and Italian scamorza cheese add flavor, while the zucchini make it soft. Zucchini are a healthy choice, rich in water (about 90%) and potassium, therefore re-hydrating and refreshing.
Scamorza is an Italian cheese typical of Apulia and some parts of Campania and Molise (Southern Italy). It is a semi-soft cheese made of cow’s milk, similar to dry mozzarella. Scamorza has execellent melting properties and a delicate taste, therefore it is suitable for baking and grilling.
Zucchini loaf is an easy and flavorful dish which will impress your guests.
PLUM CAKE DI ZUCCHINE ALL'ITALIANA (ITALIAN STYLE ZUCCHINI LOAF)
Total preparation time: 60 minutes Baking: 50-55 minutes Servings: 8
225 g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
5 g (1 teaspoon) baking powder
100 g (1 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
150 g (1 cup) scamorza, diced
100 g (3/4 cup) smoked ham, diced
1 medium red onion, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
4 medium zucchini
1 sprig marjoram
4 eggs, lightly beaten
80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and dust with flour or bread crumbs a loaf pan (34 cm x 10 cm, 14 inch x 4 inch ). Set oven rack to middle position
2. In a pan over medium-low heat saute the onion in olive oil. Cook for a few minutes until translucent. Set aside
3. Wash the zucchini, cut off the ends. Cut the zucchini into julienne strips. Set aside
4. Mix the flour, baking powder and grated Parmesan cheese in a medium bowl
5. Add the eggs and milk, mix until well blended
6. Add the scamorza and ham. Then, add the onion and zucchini
7. Stir well until the dough is smooth (you can add extra milk)
8. Pour the dough in the pan and bake for 50-55 minutes
9. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 3-4 minutes on a rack, then remove from the pan and let it cool on the rack or about 15 minutes or more. You can enjoy it warm or room temperature.
There is no clear indication of the precise moment when olives were first cultivated on th...
WTI Magazine #67 2015 September, 4Author : Paola Lovisetti Scamihorn&...
Semifreddo (pronounced say-mee-FRAY-dough) that in Italian means half frozen, is a typical...
WTI Magazine #48 2014 November, 26Author : Paola Lovisetti Scamihorn&...
WTI Magazine #78 2016 April 15Author : Paola Lovisetti Scamihorn &nbs...
WTI Magazine #40 2014 July, 23Author : Paola Lovisetti Scamihorn ...
WTI Magazine #73 2015 November 27Author : Paola Lovisetti Scamihorn&n...
WTI Magazine #63 2015 June, 27Author : Paola Lovisetti Scamihorn ...